I always get asked to share my recipes and I get busy and forget, so here I am sharing like I promised! Look at me remembering and all that! ;)
This is a delicious, tropical, satisfying, vegan treat that made us feel like we had just been sunning on the beach!
Hope you enjoy it as much as we did! (Sorry! I planned to take a pic to go with the post, but we ate it all before I got to it!)
Makes about a 2 litre container.
- 2 cans of FULL FAT coconut cream
- 1 can of drained pineapple tidbits
- 2 cups of non-dairy milk (a thicker one is better)
- 1 cup of vegan sugar or equivalent amount of sugar substitute
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract or scraped vanilla bean
- 1 tsp sea salt
- toasted coconut flakes to sprinkle over top (optional)
**Note: If you wish a really thick and creamy ice cream, you can even use 3 cans of coconut cream with 1 cup of non-dairy milk instead of 2 and 2. It will be REALLY rich, but since this recipe is celebrating the coconut flavour and not attempting to disguise it, it is not a problem. If you use a thinner non-dairy milk, the texture will resemble a thinner "ice milk" texture rather than an "ice cream" like as if a sorbet and ice cream had a baby together.
1. With a blender, immersion blender, or food processor, blend all ingredients until pineapples are evenly blended (I basically pulverized mine until smooth, but you could leave it a bit chunkier if you wish.)
**Note: If your coconut cream has those little fat balls in it, just heat it up slightly until they are melted. If not, they will never go away and they are kind of gross.
2. Chill for at least 2 hours and follow your ice cream maker's instructions. If you don't have an ice cream maker, you can just freeze it in a shallow pan (it won't have the same consistency as with an ice cream maker, but I doubt you'll have it around long enough to care).
3. Scoop it, sprinkle it with the toasted coconut, enjoy, and REPEAT (well, we went back for more, anyway)!!!!
P.S. I have not tried it, but I think it would well withstand a splash (or 6) of vegan booze to resemble a sort of Pina Colada slushie perfect for summery slurping!
Hope you enjoy it as much as we all did! Melinda Erin - June 2015.
This is my Blog! I also love to share my thoughts on Facebook, so if you enjoy my ramblings, feel free to connect with me there too!